Sunday, August 15, 2010

Lest we forget

It was 65 years ago that the world changed and Hiroshima and Nagasaki almost ceased to exist. I find that Japanese people don't talk about the war much. A small minority have strong feelings and are quite vocal but most people never speak of and seem to only even rarely think of what happend. Japanese people seldom showing their emotions and me being a (American looking) foreigner means that I can still probably count on my hands the times I have had a substantial conversation about WWII.

But as this is the anniversary, there have been numerous specials on tv every night and people are more openly talking of the war than I can ever remember.

The other night I was having dinner at the home of a 70 year old pottery salesman and he, his family and I were watching one of these well produced and insightful specials. We all talked naturally of the horrors of war and even the thorny subject of where guilt should lie. But then, tongue loosened from shochu, the patriarch began to talk ... and remember.

I had always wondered how close to Arita/Imari the bombings came but this night, for the first time, I learned that they had been hit and hit hard. He told us of the lengths his Mother and Father went to to protect him as airplanes whizzed over head and bombs rocked the town. He told an amazing story about how one of the largets pottery companies in Arita was levelled when the Americans mistook it for a munitions plant.

It was as if, and if only for a few short minutes, he put aside his usually stoic demeanour and, with no prodding at all, gave me my first glimpse of a pottery town at war. Pushed by the knowledge that what he had to say was too important to be silenced by the years or the very human desire to forget, he carefully answered each and every question. It was moving.

The anguish, loss and pain that war brings is a curse on so many around the world. But no mater how uncomfortable, sad or even guilty it makes us feel, we must never cease to listen to their memories. Peace demands that we hear their stories; warnings of a dark path most of us are blessed never to have walked.

No comments:

Post a Comment